The Loving Traffic Signal

 

 Title: The Loving Traffic Signal


Age: 4 to 8 years

      

I wake with a start, at the sound of the truck,

I can’t believe that I have overslept!

I quickly shake the sleep out of my head,

 This will not do, a traffic signal cannot go to bed.

         

 I love my job and everyone loves me too,

It is actually simple, what I have to do.

I have to wink at all the vehicles passing me,

In green, red, and orange- the colours three.

           

 The cars wait for me to turn green,

I oblige everyone, I am not mean.

The pedestrians wait for red to pass through,

I love my job and everyone loves me too.

 

          

Every morning, I stand, alert and ready to start,

With a song on my lips and smile in my heart.

I make sure that the city moves smoothly,

So that everyone will love me profusely.

 

 

 I blink the green light cheerfully,

The drivers smile and are happy.

Making people smile is what I like to do,

You see, I love my job and everyone loves me too.

 

        Then it is the turn for red,

Suddenly, I close my ears with dread.

People are shouting, mad with anger,

They scream,” Oh this wait!” how much longer?

 

        

My heart is sad; I don’t like this brawl,

I don’t like people not liking me at all!

That day I make a decision,

I will no longer turn red, for any reason!

          

So I puff my cheeks and hold my breath,

I do not allow my switch to blink red.

I will let the vehicles breeze through forever,

Nothing will stop them, now or never.

 

            

Instead of “Thank you” and “Good Job”,

I hear the honking of vehicles which have stopped.

Everyone is shouting at everyone, and at me!

What went wrong, I just wanted everyone to be happy!

      

A policeman comes and opens the door on my back,

He gives a twist and a knocks some sense into my head.

If I love my job and do it well, not everyone will love me all the time,

If I want everyone to love me all the time, I cannot do my job well.

________________*________________________*______

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All Their World Is A Stage- a short story

A shout out to Parents

Beyond the Lakshmana Rekha